10 August, 2012

Mac on Intel


The fact that MacOS runs now on Intel processors has made possible the port of PC pinballs using Wine/Cider emulation. In fact this is how I played for the first time Dream Pinball 3D, i.e. through an unofficial port. The game did officially come out for the Mac, albeit later. It is a six-table game, Knight Tournament, Monster Castle, Aquatic World, Dino Wars, Spinning Rotors and Amber Moon:









It runs on Intel Macs and to my eyes it is a sign of the rebirth of interest of game developers for the Mac platform.

There exist now DOS games ported to the Mac with the help of the DOSbox emulator. Among them I saw some famous oldies: Pinball Dreams, Pinball Fantasies and Pinball Illusions. They are worth mentioning only for nostalgia reasons. 

Of course, you can always install a bootcamp partition and play pc games directly on windows. But I consider this as a last ditch measure.

Where the Wine emulation has really saved the day is in the case of Pro Pinball. I run across a superb Wine wrapper for all four Pro Pinballs and now they play flawlessly on my iMac under Mountain Lion. It's a dream come true!

No comments:

Post a Comment